M-Gator A1 drive system
The M-Gator™ A1's power is transmitted from the transaxle to the center axle. The rear axle is driven by roller chains from the center axle.
|1. High flotation tires|
|3. Chain drive|
|5. Variable-speed drive|
Key elements of the drive system are as follows:
Consists of two clutches and a drive belt:
- Drive clutch is attached to the engine.
- Driven clutch is attached to the transaxle.
- Infinite selection of speeds—0 km/h to 32 km/h (0 mph to 20 mph)
- No shifting necessary as the operator increases speed
- Adjusts speed to the load to avoid being bogged down when going uphill or through challenging conditions because the wrong gear was selected
|1. Idle speed|
|2. Moderate speed|
|3. High speed|
|4. Drive clutch|
|5. Driven clutch|
How variable-speed drive works:
- As engine speed increases, the spring-loaded drive clutch is closed by weights being forced out from centrifugal force.
- As the drive clutch closes, the belt rides up to the largest diameter of the drive clutch and forces open the driven clutch.
- With the belt running in the smallest diameter of the driven clutch, the speed being transferred to the transaxle is increased.
- The driven clutch is designed to sense varying loads (inclines, mud, etc.) and constantly adjusts the drive speed upward or downward, so engine rpm remains constant.
The transaxle is fully enclosed and runs in oil for reliability.
Helical gears are used for quiet operation.
The differential design reduces scuffing of the turf during turns because the inside wheels turn slower than the outside wheels (vehicles that have a solid axle shaft must skid on the inside wheel when making a turn).
Traction assist (differential lock) is built into the transaxle:
- Allows locking the rear drive wheels together
- Provides increased traction in tough spots
A neutral start safety interlock is provided for the engine ignition system.
Bolt-on cast-aluminum rear axle housings provide an extremely strong supporting structure.
- Large, sealed bearings located inside the housing for better protection
- Forged-splined shaft for increased torsional strength